Shooter killed, bystander critical after shootout near White House
Secret Service officers shot and killed a person who the agency said approached a security checkpoint this morning near the White House and fired at them, according to an agency spokesperson.
Shortly before 6pm Saturday ET (8am Sunday AEST), an individual approached a checkpoint just outside the White House complex and began firing at officers, the spokesperson said, citing a preliminary investigation.
Secret Service officers returned fire and hit the suspect, who later died at an area hospital, the spokesperson said.
READ MORE: Man shot dead by police in Queensland in alleged DV incident
"During the shooting, a bystander was also struck by gunfire. It remains unclear whether the bystander was struck by the suspect's initial gunfire or during the subsequent exchange of gunfire," the spokesperson added.
Investigators recovered a pistol they believe belongs to the suspect, an anonymous official previously said.
Trump is currently in residence at the White House, and has been briefed on the incident, according to a spokesperson.
The building was locked down for about 40 minutes but has since returned to normal.
Journalists reporting on US President Donald Trump's claim of a nearly finalised peace deal with Iran were rushed to the briefing room and told to shelter in place after the noises were heard.
"I was in the middle of taping on my iPhone for a social video from the White House North Lawn when we heard the shots," ABC US reporter Selina Wang posted on X.
"It sounded like dozens of gunshots. We were told to sprint to the press briefing room where we are holding now."
A Secret Service official told CNN that the agency was investigating reports of shots fired at the corner of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue Northwest, which is just outside the White House complex.
READ MORE: Irish tradie issues warning to expats after shock diagnosis
Secret Service agents carrying rifles could be seen moving through the North Lawn area following the incident and blocking the White House press briefing room.
The Secret Service said it was "aware of reports of shots fired near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW" — one block from the White House — and was "working to corroborate the information with personnel on the ground".
In a social media post, FBI Director Kash Patel said officers were responding to shots fired and said he would "update the public as we're able."
The lockdown comes a month after the White House Correspondents' Dinner, where reporters and Trump administration officials ducked for cover as shots rang out.
The suspect in that shooting, Cole Tomas Allen, sprinted through a security checkpoint with a shotgun in hand, exchanging fire with Secret Service agents who chased behind him, according to security footage.
He has pleaded not guilty to attempting to assassinate Trump and to other charges.
More to come.
– with CNN and Associated Press














